Projects and Collaborations
Native Foodways is a systemic enterprise made up of a number of projects and programs. These have been thoughtfully weaved together into a First Nations-led value chain. They include our bakery, our catering, and our online pantry. As well as collaborations on native farms, with native food manufacturers, and with native food retailers.
Below is an overview of the projects we are currently leading or collaborating on. All these projects strengthen the native food system in a way that is regenerative, culturally respectful, and benefits First Peoples. They also support First Nations people to practice Culture, heal Country, and nourish Community. The outcomes of these projects are meaningful First Nations jobs, cultural learning opportunities, ecosystem regeneration, and healthy and delicious raw and processed native foods.
These projects are the ultimate win-win-win at the nexus of the agricultural, food, and environmental sectors. They are the most ethical value chains we can possibly create and they have the ability to scale and lead systemic change. Backing these projects will lead to seismic shifts in economic, social, cultural, and environmental outcomes. Every year, with the right investment and support, we have the potential to:
- create thousands of culturally meaningful and regenerative First Nations jobs,
- create thousands of cultural learning and sharing opportunities,
- regenerate thousands of acres of land with Indigenous Ecological Knowledge (improving soil health and water retention while decreasing the risk of fire, drought, and flood),
- capture and store thousands of tonnes of carbon in the native vegetation and soil, and,
- produce thousands of tonnes of healthy and delicious native foods, including grains, seeds, nuts, fruits, vegetables, herbs, meats, drinks, pantry goods and more.