Hey there, thanks so much for being a part of our first ever direct to customer native foodbox. It means the world to us that you took a leap and trusted us to deliver the goods. And now, here they are. We can wait to hear how you like them.
Here are a few back stories and tips on how to use the native foods to add flavour and nutrition to your everyday meals. The box is packed with over $135 worth of native foods.
- Finger Limes - 250 grams - $20 - known as Gulalung in Bundjalung Language, these citrus fruits provide a burst of tangy sweetness in every juicy bubble (way better than your average lime). There is lots more information on Finger Limes on the card in your foodbox. Try popping the pearls on your muesli like in the picture above.
- Organic Native Macadamia Nuts - 200 grams - $15 - known as Gumbar Gumbar in Bundjalung language. These nuts are grown by a small family farm on Bunjalung Country. They are full of flavour and healthy and nutritious snacks. Know to be great for heart health. Macadamias are perfect in baked goods, trail mixes, salads, dukkahs, and granolas. They are also great in baking, especially cookies, muffins and cakes, or added to your favourite stir-fry. Macadamias are also fantastic for creating homemade nut butter or dairy free nut milk.
- Saltbush - 30 grams - $10 - known as Bulaguy in Wiradjuri, is a salty leafy green. Use it in salads, on sandwiches, and as a garnish. You can use it as a rich and complex flavoured salt replacement. It is ideal for adding to breads, especially dampers and johnnycakes. Saltbush is over 30% protein making it one of the highest protein plants on the planet.
- Native Thyme - 30 grams - $10 - A perfect local alternative to your Mediterranean Thyme. Use it in the same way, in sauces and marinades or add it to your pasta or pizza. It is also lovely and refreshing straight in hot water as a tea. This tasty herb has minty and peppery flavours and is high in vitamin C and A. It is also used as a medicinal herb.
- Lemon Myrtle - 30g - $10 - Myrtle Trees are called Nanggil in Bundjalung Language. Lemon Myrtle is perfect and potent on its own in a cup of boiling water. You can experience the full flavour and health benefits by letting it steep for 5min and then sipping slowly. This wonder herb has the highest citral content in the world and is full of powerful vitamins and minerals. It has been used since time immemorial as a bush medicine. It is now also used to flavour an endless variety of dishes and drinks. Think about pretty much any situation you would use lemon grass or lemon and Lemon Myrtle can be a better alternative.
- Native Sarsparilla - 15 grams - $10 - The beautiful leaf is endemic to Dharawal and Yuin Country on the South Coast of NSW. It has a slightly sweet flavour a little reminiscent of liquorice root. It is used by our Budawang and Wodi Wodi collaborators every week to stay healthy. They absolutely swear by it. And now, we do too. Combine it with Lemon Myrtle leaves for a super healthy and unique tea mix.
- Bush Tomato Sauce - 250 grams - $13 - the uniquely local tomato sauce alternative that you'll always want on hand. Infused with the iconic bush tomato. Bush Tomato is called Kampurarpa in the Pitjantjatjara language and the fruit is endemic to central Australia.
- Native Macadamia Oil - 250ml - $15 - Rich, sweet, and nutty, perfect for frying, baking or directly on salads and bread (a local and sustainable alternative to your Olive Oil). As mentioned above, Macadamia is known as Gumbar Gumbar in Bundjalung and it is endemic to that area.
- Native Chilli Paste - 270 grams - $13 - This super spicy chilli paste brings in some extra kick with Mourao, also known as native Mountain Pepperberries from Lutruwita (Tasmania). It also uses Macadamia oil to infuse and carry the taste and spice.
- Sobah Non-Alcoholic Beers - 330ml - $5 each - $15 in total - Enjoy kicking back with these special native infused beers that won't give you a headache. These are a great way to taste and experience Finger Lime, Pepperberry, and Lemon Aspen.
- Knowledge Water - 500ml - $5 - Enjoy this sacred water with the knowledge that every sip comes from a rainforest spring in Mandjawuy, Arnhem Land. Proceeds support the Yolngu community to self-determine their futures.
We hope you enjoy this month's native foodbox! Please let us know your feedback through this quick customer survey. One randomly selected survey participant will get a special extra item in their next foodbox. Thanks so much for taking the time. We really appreciate your thoughts.